Mastitis is a condition which occurs mostly in a breastfeeding woman. It was defined as a breast infection and commonly affect in one side of the breast, rarely occur in the both of them. Antibiotic can provide a fast method to solve this problem. However, with breastfeeding women, it does not feel suitable for their children. That’s why we write this article; we will introduce some home remedies for mastitis. They are practical and safe for both women and their baby.
What is the cause of mastitis?
It is the first important thing you need to know.
Mastitis has two types: infection and non-inflamed. Non-inflamed mastitis caused by blocked milk duct due to milk stasis in breast tissue for women who are breastfeeding. Mastitis due to disease is mainly caused by yellow staph bacteria attacking the body through the skin or injured nipples. Breastfeeding period is the best environment for bacteria development.
What are the symptoms of the mastitis?
Mastitis can cause pain, swelling, redness; the feeling got in the breast. Tenderness in the nipple combined with two arms. It makes the women feel tired, fatigue and even fever or injured around the chest.
Home remedies for mastitis:-
Even when you have mastitis, your children still need to continue to breastfeeding. You prevent any risks for the baby. It is the reason why you should try home remedies for mastitis.
- Massage: One of the reasons which lead to mastitis is block milk duct. Massage the breast can help the milk ducts come back and reduce swelling condition. You can use essential oils and apply to massage the breast. Make a small circle from outer to the nipples. Even, mastitis occurs on one side; you still should press for both of them. Apply this method some a few times per day. Remember clean carefully your nipples before breastfeeding. Your baby can be irritated with some oils.
- Garlic: The primary cause lead to mastitis is infection related to bacteria. Garlic contains antibiotic properties which can reduce the mastitis condition. Also, it stimulates the healing process and support for the immune system. You can consume more garlic in your diet. Because of its nasty taste, you can use it with some fruit juice. It can help you easy to eat Garlic. Some cloves of Garlic when you are hungry is one of an excellent idea to mastitis. Repeat eating Garlic every day.
- Apple cider vinegar: It is one of the home remedies for mastitis. Anti-inflammation is the main property of Apple Cider Vinegar which can help to push back inflammation condition. In Apple Cider Vinegar, Anti-bacteria also has used to prevent infection and to spread it to another area too. You can do a mixture of warm water, apple cider vinegar and honey to drink it every day. Another way, you can dilute apple cider vinegar with a little of warm water and apply it to the infected breast. Relax in a few minutes and clean it again.
- Apply hot compress combine with cold compress: Got compress can make dilated vessel which increases the milk duct release. A cold compress is one useful method to minimize swelling and reduce pain. You can apply got compress by a hot water bottle. And then, You can cover some ices in a small towel and apply gently around the breast. This method should do every day.
- Honey: If you are finding some home remedies for mastitis, undoubtedly, you can not forget Honey. It is an available ingredient in the kitchen. Honey has many benefit for your appearances and your health. Because of antibacterial properties, honey can reduce infection and prevent spreading. You need to consume a few spoons per day.
- Potatoes: Potatoes contains anti-inflammatory properties which can reduce swelling and push back redness and itchy. With the high level of vitamin, C. Potatoes is one of the best home remedies for mastitis. You can choose some fresh potatoes and cut it into thin slices. Soak in water about 15-20 minutes and apply in the infected area at least 15 minutes. You continue to use this method twice time per day. You can relax when moving on a new turn.
- Cabbage leaves: It also is one of the top home remedies for mastitis. Because of sulfur compounds, cabbage leaves can prevent swelling and inflammation when breastfeeding. You clean some leaves of cabbage and keep them in the refrigerator for a half of hour. When the leaves become cold, you apply this around the breast. It’s a mechanism like a cold compress method. Until the leaves warm, you should replace another one and continue about one hour. Rinse your breast again before breastfeeding.
- Probiotics: Mastitis occurs related to bacteria that means your weak immune system. That’s why you should consume probiotics to improve the immune system. Beside some probiotic supplements, you can provide probiotic from dairy products such as yogurt, cheese, Kefir, etc.
- Fenugreek Seeds: It is not common seeks but it also an excellent home remedy for mastitis you should know. With the central role is increasing milk production that can remove the cause of mastitis. Beside, Fenugreek contains some bacteria properties which can kill bacteria, improve the healing process. Fenugreek should be soaked by warm water overnight. Crushed them into paste mixture in the next morning. Apply this mixture directly in infected-breast. This method should be done about two times per day and continue to a few weeks.
Mastitis is a common disease in breastfeeding women. So many reasons can lead to this problem. If Mastitis does not treat, it can cause the severe complication. That’s why you should prevent it from now. Wear the comfortable clothes in breastfeeding period. Always clean the nipples and encourage the baby to breastfeed. Drink a lot of water and reduce the stress. If home remedies for mastitis do not become sufficient for you. You should consult the doctor as soon as possible.