In some situation especially during the winter season when there is continuous snowfall it becomes quite difficult to grow vegetables in the garden or backyards. But still, you may crave for growing some fresh vegetables. During such condition instead of going to the supermarket, it is always better to grow essential vegetables indoors. However, every plant needs some essential things to grow such as space, light, humidity, temperature, water, etc. But the good thing is that nowadays you can manage every essential thing artificially which will be required for indoor gardening. For example, you can get incandescent lamps, compact fluorescent lights, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) light, High-Pressure Sodium (HPS), Metal Halide (MH) bulb, and other essential things required for indoor gardening from Growace.com. All that you need to know is the process of how these essential vegetables can be grown indoors.
What are the vegetables that you can grow indoors easily?
The following are the vegetables that you can easily grow indoors no matter whatever the condition of the weather may be:
- Lettuce greens: You can easily grow lettuce greens indoors as it does not require too much space. Growing lettuce greens indoors is very easy and all that you need to take a pot or a plastic bag with a hole in it. Then you have to fill the pot or plastic bag with moist soil and after that sprinkle some seeds of lettuce greens in the pot or the plastic bag. Again cover the seeds with moist soil up to 1 to 8 inches until the seeds become completely covered. You must place the pot or plastic bag near the window so that it can get the sunlight and water the seeds. Then within a few days, you will see that the seeds will germinate which will ultimately grow into delicious and fresh lettuce.
Also Read: 7 Tips To Move Over To A Plant-Based Diet
- Carrots: Though you cannot get monstrous carrots in the indoor garden you can easily grow fresh carrots throughout the year. For that, you will need a pot with 8 to 12 inches deep. Then fill the pot with some moist soil and then you need to plant the seed making 4 inches deep. You need to keep the pot near the window from where it can get abundant sunlight and always keep them moist but it should not be wet. Within a few days, you will see that the seeds will germinate and once the seeds germinate it is very important to thin the plant by keeping them apart with at least one inch from the next. You need to plant a new batch of carrot after every two weeks so that it comes all year long.
- Arugula: You can easily grow spicy and delicious arugula more quickly than any other vegetables. The best thing about arugula is that if you cut each arugula plant can give you the multiple harvests. Remember arugula grows well at a cooler temperature and hence it is one of the perfect vegetables to grow indoors. For growing it you just need to sprinkle some arugula seeds in a container filled with the moist soil and place then near a sunny windowsill so that it can get enough sunlight. Once it germinates you need to thin out the weaker seedlings as required.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes can also be grown indoors and you need a large container to grow it well. However, you can start your seeds in a seed flat and then you can transplant it into a large pot when they will be grown a few inches taller. Tomatoes require sunlight and so you should always place the container near the windows.
- Ginger: You can also grow ginger indoors and you should always pick the plants from the natural food stores as they use fewer chemicals. After that, you have to soak the seeds in water for a few hours to remove all the chemicals on the plants. Then place the roots of the plant in a wide, shallow container and cover the container with soil. You should always keep the soil moist and place near the window so that it can get proper sunlight.